POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs : Re: Shopping for TVs Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shopping for TVs
From: Tom Austin
Date: 2 Dec 2008 14:05:16
Message: <493586ec$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 12:58:51 -0500, Tom Austin <taustin> wrote:
>
>> A internal resistance may build due to age, but I think that is
>> different that what I am referring to.
>
> Yes, I agree it is different. I'd not heard of a film on the electrode before.

I was using the term 'film' because I lacked a better term at the
moment.  It's a buildup of 'something'

I got curious and looked up a few sources
I'm not crazy - I actually found something.

apparently it is called a 'passivation layer'

http://www.spectrumbatteries.com/id6.html
http://www.electrochemsolutions.com/pdf/Passivation.pdf
http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/battery/lithium.html

I believe it has to do with low current draw.
Low current does not burn off the passivation layer that forms, yet you
do not see much affect because the current draw is low and the internal
resistance drops little voltage.
But as soon as you need a higher current from a battery with a big
passivation layer, the voltage drops due to the internal resistance.
Most electronics sense the low voltage and indicate low battery and shut
off.
If they would stay on for a couple of minutes the passivation layer
would be burned off and the voltage would return to normal.

I don't know what 'chemistries' of Li-ion batteries have this problem -
apparently someone thought the SONY Infolithium batters did.

Tom