POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs : Re: Shopping for TVs Server Time
10 Oct 2024 05:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shopping for TVs
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Dec 2008 07:57:27
Message: <493530b7@news.povray.org>
>> The problem is, after 4 months the battery in a laptop stops working,
>> so it must be permanently connected to the mains anyway.
>
> Wow that's a long-life battery mine's only got a couple of hours charge
> in it. Being serious where did you get those figures from? I know plenty
> of people with year-old+ laptops.

Well, every laptop *I* have seen, the battery loses the ability to
recharge after a few months, maybe a year. When you first get the laptop
it works fine. After a few months, the battery seems to go flat much
faster than it should. After a little longer, it gets to the point where
no matter how long you charge the battery for, as soon as you remove the
power cable, the laptop instantly shuts off. I've got, like, 4 laptops
on my office floor here that all behave this way.

>> It is virtually impossible to use a computer without a mouse, so you
>> must have a mouse connected too.
>
> The magic of Bluetooth, even has its own little pouch. Still got the
> touchpad for little things if I don't want to dig it out.

How big is this mouse?

>> If you want Internet access... well, personally, I would never, ever
>> use a wireless system. I don't trust them. Too easy to steal my data
>> and my connection.
>
> Calculated risk.

Yeah, well, given all the problems above, there isn't much to be gained
here.

>> (Plus the problems of it not working half the time.)
>
> Other then the initial setup (damn Vista) I've this very laptop
> connecting to both the office and my home without any trouble.

My dad has problems to this day with computers randomly dropping their
network connections or just plain not seeing the WiFi router at all. To
the point that he's lifting floorboards to run cables round the building
to make his gear actually ****ing work properly.

Plus, AFAIK, WiFi is currently much slower than Ethernet.

>> In short, a laptop makes no sense for me at all. And yet, I keep
>> wanting to buy one.
>
> Sucuumb to the urge.

Luke... Luuuuke... *give in* to the _Dark Side_... it is pointless to
resist, my son...

Or, my personal favourit:

Luke... Luuuke... I know what you're getting for Christmas, Luke.

How do you know, father?

I have felt your presents.

:-D