POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stranger than fiction : Re: Stranger than fiction Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stranger than fiction
From: scott
Date: 1 Dec 2008 06:03:15
Message: <4933c473@news.povray.org>
> It's more that, in everyday life, there is no way of turning light into
> either electricity

Solar panels.

> So that's the magic relationship? Those two measurements allow you to
> determine the index of refraction?

Yes, but bear in mind those two properties will likely not be constant over
frequency (maybe one of them will be, I don't know).

> Presumably knowing the *colour* of an object still requires you to compute
> electron energy band gaps and weird crap like that though?

Probably, I don't know the details, I just know that for eg car paint there
is *a lot* of this sort of research to get colour pigments that don't fade
or change colour after 20 years in the sun.  You certainly need to know your
chemistry and physics!