POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stranger than fiction : Re: Stranger than fiction Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stranger than fiction
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Nov 2008 18:19:49
Message: <49331f95@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Pfff. Yeah, and what do you suggest I search for? "Electricity is
> somehow related top optics"? :-P

I searched on permitivity permeability.

>> http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy05/phy05019.htm
>> seems to have a pretty good summary.
>
> Mmm, OK. Still not really understanding, but...

Light reacts primarily with electrons, which absorb it, then later emit it.
Permittivity is the extent to which charges of different signs go different
directions. If an electron tends to go left more than right, it builds up a
charge on the left, which tends to make electrons keep farther away from the
left, until it's full. Like a capacitor getting full. Clearly, if optics is
affected by photons interacting with electrons, and there are more electrons
going one way than the other, you're going to get different optical properties.

Permeability is how easily a magnetic field affects the material. If it
tends to make the atoms line up, the magnetic field inside the substance
will get stronger than the magnetic field that's causing things to line up.

The "electric" field is caused by charges, i.e., protons and electrons,
which interact with photons. The "magnetic" field is caused by photons
(primarily virtual photons) flooding an area and moving charges around.
Hence the interactions between them, and the ways in which they affect optics.

> I'm just intrigued by the idea that measuring the electronic properties
> of a substance will tell you all of its optical properties...

Sure. The light you see is coming from the interactions between photons and
electrons. *Everything* outside the nucleus except gravity is interaction
between photons and electrons. All of chemistry, optics, magnetism,
electricity, heat, biology, etc is the "electronic" properties of
substances. Measuring the electronic properties of a substance will tell you
how much weight it will support, what temperature it will melt, how sticky
it is, and what color it is. :-)

It's hard to measure things that complicated, tho, at that level, because
the calculations are all infinite sums of hard-to-measure stuff. The nuclear
interactions appear to follow the same sort of rules, except with
coefficients on the factors of the infinite sums that converge much more
slowly, so you have to take many many more terms into account before you can
come up with a number that's close to what you measure.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)