POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stranger than fiction : Stranger than fiction Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Stranger than fiction
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 30 Nov 2008 15:23:16
Message: <4932f634$1@news.povray.org>
While investigating Wikipedia, I came across a fleeting suggestion that
a material's optical properties are somehow related to its electrical
and magnetic properties.

Obviously, this seems *highly* implausible, given the abundance of
materials with similar optical qualities but highly disimilar electrical
properties, and vice versa. On the other hand... light is supposedly
related to both electricity and magnetism in some mysterious way. So, in
principle, it seems as if it *could* be true...

Unfortunately, the article states that the parameters of interest are
"permitivity" and "permeability". I've checked the articles for both of
these, and they are entirely beyond my ability to comprehend. (But then,
so were Wikipedia's articles on DSP and filter design - which actually
turns out to be quite simple when explained _properly_.)

Does anybody here know anything about this curios idea?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/