POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Holy crap! : Re: Holy crap! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Holy crap!
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Nov 2008 11:54:21
Message: <4932c53d$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> mostly because an inventor has talked about it to somebody before filing
> the patent. And indeed most patents are rather obvious.

The rules in the USA are somewhat different. IANAL. But "non-obvious" means
"it's not the same as a combination of things already patented." It doesn't
mean "any idiot would have thought of that."

And you get a year here between telling people about it and filing for a
patent, which seems to me a pretty stupid way of working things, given that
a patent is supposed to encourage you to tell people about it.

> have to specify on what grounds you are going to contest the patent
> because you only have to start an investigation after the company
> refuses to pay you for dropping the case.

That is a pretty interesting approach, tho. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)