POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs : Re: Shopping for TVs Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shopping for TVs
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Nov 2008 19:53:21
Message: <49309281$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Indeed. Except most signals aren't RF-modulated any more anyway. ;-)

They are over the air or over "raw" cable here. Perhaps things are different
in the UK.

> Having seen a few in the shop, there's absolutely no visible difference
> at all between a normal 50 Hz TV and a 200 Hz TV right next to it
> showing the same signal. (There *was*, however, a 4x price difference.)

Hmm. I could see the difference. Maybe you need an appropriate signal. Or
maybe I was fooling myself. :-)

>> It conducts better. And it never corrodes, so it'll keep conducting
>> better. And it doesn't rub off unless you plug it in and out a few
>> hundred times.
>
> Better... than what?

Better than other kinds of metals, in part because it doesn't corrode. I.e.,
in practice it conducts better than copper or aluminum. In theory, others
might be better, but you need that perfect connection to maintain it. Hence,
copper cables with gold cladding where it's exposed to the air.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)