POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs : Re: Shopping for TVs Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shopping for TVs
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 28 Nov 2008 16:37:38
Message: <493064a2$1@news.povray.org>
>> Similarly, why do I get electric shocks every time I touch
>> our video equipment?)
>
> Stuff's broken? :-)

...oh. O_O

>> A lot of the TV descriptions seem to leave confusion as to whether
>> you're buying a "TV" or a "monitor". Hmm... ;-)
>
> Works for both. Generally a "monitor" won't have a tuner built in.

Indeed. Except most signals aren't RF-modulated any more anyway. ;-)

>> So far, I've observed that the very low-price models have almost no
>> connectors at all, and the expensive ones have lots of them. It's the
>> only real difference I can see. (Other than trying to interpret the
>> brightness / contrast / speed ratings.)
>
> Actually, the larger ones often have 120Hz refresh rates.

None of the ones I've looked at have this. Some of the bigger ones do,
but not the ones I'm looking to buy.

Having seen a few in the shop, there's absolutely no visible difference
at all between a normal 50 Hz TV and a 200 Hz TV right next to it
showing the same signal. (There *was*, however, a 4x price difference.)

>> why would you put gold on a connector? The very first time you use it
>> all the gold will rub off!)
>
> It conducts better. And it never corrodes, so it'll keep conducting
> better. And it doesn't rub off unless you plug it in and out a few
> hundred times.

Better... than what?

The other day I was shocked to discover that copper actually conducts
*better* than gold. (!!) That's *pure* copper, of course. The nice thing
about gold is that it doesn't corrode. Copper certainly does...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/