POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs : Re: Shopping for TVs Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shopping for TVs
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Nov 2008 15:13:27
Message: <493050e7$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Can you typically tell the difference between progressive-scan and
> interlaced? (Obviously I've been watching interlaced all my life, and I

> don't think I've ever seen progressive-scan - except on computer monito
rs.)

Yes, on fast-moving scenes. But not a lot.

> signals. Similarly, why do I get electric shocks every time I touch our

> video equipment?)

Stuff's broken? :-)

> A lot of the TV descriptions seem to leave confusion as to whether
> you're buying a "TV" or a "monitor". Hmm... ;-)

Works for both. Generally a "monitor" won't have a tuner built in.

> So far, I've observed that the very low-price models have almost no
> connectors at all, and the expensive ones have lots of them. It's the
> only real difference I can see. (Other than trying to interpret the
> brightness / contrast / speed ratings.)

Actually, the larger ones often have 120Hz refresh rates, with some wild

software inside that figures out what's moving and interpolates it into
actual new frames. Which is cool. And mind-boggling to someone who was
programming when JPEG decoding took special hardware, let along real-time

MPEG-style motion detection. That *does* make a visible difference, at le
ast
for some things.

hy
> would you put gold on a connector? The very first time you use it all
> the gold will rub off!)

It conducts better. And it never corrodes, so it'll keep conducting bette
r.
And it doesn't rub off unless you plug it in and out a few hundred times.

> Yeah. If I was a serious HD nut I might do that. Actually, from what
> I've seen, HD doesn't look any different to SD.

I thought that too, until I compared a SD channel with the same thing on
HD.
It's actually really quite a startling difference.

> seemed weird seeing such a vast picture all sharply in focus.

Well, that's the difference between SD and HD.

> Seemed a tad blurry during movement though...

That's the other problem. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)