POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A hypothesis : Re: A hypothesis Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A hypothesis
From: nemesis
Date: 28 Nov 2008 13:32:34
Message: <49303942$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible escreveu:
> Maybe interacting with humans is like that? Maybe you can only
> understand it once you experience it for yourself. Maybe it's not
> possible to "explain" it with words. Perhaps you can only learn by
> *doing* this stuff for real, and having somebody *show* you rather than
> just *tell* you.

Yes.  The salsa example is perfect:  you can't rationalize about salsa
while you're in the middle of it, you'll get it wrong.  Don't think too
much about it -- and I know it's hard for us geeks -- and you'll do
fine.  It's like walking too:  you don't go thinking about rising your
foot, moving it forward, keeping balance etc.

Just get near someone and go like:  "Hey, nice shirt!" or "Some weather,
huh?" or "What did you have for lunch today?" and "Whew!  The world has
gone bonkers" or any other familiar nonsense.  The rest should come out
naturally.  Just don't think too much about it, go chaining the words in
the replies with new ideas and, presto!, some random conversation is
built.  I find it a good algorithm. ;)