POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : And you thought Andrew was a geek : Re: And you thought Andrew was a geek Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: And you thought Andrew was a geek
From: Invisible
Date: 28 Nov 2008 08:12:42
Message: <492fee4a$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   It's a shame that almost no printer nowadays supports reading and
> interpreting PostScript anymore (nowadays almost every single one of them
> has a OS driver which interprets the PostScript on the computer and only
> then sends the chewed up page data to the printer), but in the good old
> days when PS files were sent *raw* to printers and the printer interpreted
> it, it was fun to send a PostScript Mandelbrot for them to ruminate about.

Hey, I STILL DO THIS! :-D

I know most cheap printers don't support PostScript, but IME
industrial-grade laser printers still accept raw PS as input. (E.g., our
recently-purchased HP LaserJet 4250 accepts it just fine.)

I think it's just cheaper to make the host do it then put a powerful
computer inside the printer itself. Makes the printer cheaper.

(Do you remember the scandle of "win modems"?)