POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Jupiter, Venus and Crescent Moon : Re: Jupiter, Venus and Crescent Moon Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Jupiter, Venus and Crescent Moon
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 27 Nov 2008 15:37:40
Message: <492f0514@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote in message news:492eb414@news.povray.org...
> Yes, I must get out there with my telescope, but I must admit the thought
> of dressing up for -5 degrees C has put me off each evening.  Last night
> was spectacularly clear, and looking at the sun set now I think tonight
> will be the same.

yes it's been cold -15C the other night and very clear. cloudy and mild +5C
the past few days.

Nov30th to Dec 2nd supposed to be the best days .... within 3 degrees of
each other.

> So far I have only had limited success with my camera and telescope, this
> shot is the best I've got so far:
>
> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3276/2924137262_ee9a789965_o.jpg

haha .... my best astro picture is a moon shot too.

> I find that either with longer exposures the Earth has rotated too much,
> or with shorter exposures the vibration from the camera shutter mechanism
> causes too much of an impact on the final shot.  I need to construct some
> sort of manual shutter for the front of the telescope that doesn't cause
> any vibration.

Yes it's a challenge indeed. My scope (an older meede) isn't computer
driven. So you have to make your shot quick or the rotation of the Earth
takes it out of view.

>Hopefully when Saturn comes back around I'll be prepared with my camera
>this
>time, although just seeing it and its rings with your own eyes is awesome.

Yes I've caught a great view of Saturn. Rings tilted and a hint of one of
it's moons. Also I've seen five moons around Jupiter, and the spot.

Jim