POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Animation performance : Re: Animation performance Server Time
27 Apr 2024 15:54:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation performance
From: Brent Fraser
Date: 26 Nov 2008 10:22:46
Message: <492d69c6@news.povray.org>
SharkD wrote:
> Christian Froeschlin <chr### [at] chrfrde> wrote:
>> And should you have 3+GB of memory available you might use 1GB
>> for a RAM disk.
>
> Weird. I always thought that using RAM disks as swap doesn't work (or, rather,
> doesn't provide additional benefits).
>
> -Mike

I think SharkD's suggestion was to use a RAM disk as an alternate location for the
tga/png files.  Unfortunately, the computers I'm using typically only have 1.5 to 2
gb, and usually all the RAM is used (along with some swap) in the rendering process.

More Background:
----------------
  For the rendering of this particular fly-thru movie, we distribute ("by hand") 15
.pov scripts between 6 to 10 computers.  Each script produces around 150 frames (which
we then assemble into a 15 fps movie).  These computers take about 2 to 3 days to
render all the frames.  Adding more RAM to the computers may help, but I'd like to
investigate changes to POV-Ray first.

  I think only a few of the scripts contain object animation; that's why clockless
animation is so appealing.  If I can get an order of magnitude performance increase on
the 10 to 12 scripts that only move the camera, it would be great!

Thanks!
Brent Fraser