POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Animation performance : Re: Animation performance Server Time
27 Apr 2024 15:34:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation performance
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 25 Nov 2008 20:37:46
Message: <492ca869@news.povray.org>
Brent Fraser wrote:
>   I see that rtr/clockless animation in 3.7 will not re-parse, so the 5
>   minute file loading hit is done only once.  Now I need to figure out
>   where to add the file-saving code.  Is there a technical reason (i.e.
>   thread complexity) or a more administrative reason why that capability
>   is not in the current 3.7 beta?  Any pointers to where I could add it
>   would be appreciated.
>
>   The problem with using the clockless animation approach to solve my
>   performance problem is that my script does actually contain a minor
>   amount of animation so I'd like to preserve it if possible (which
>   clockless animation does not currently allow).

The reason why the current clockless animation is even possible is *because*
it lacks the flexibility you're now needing...

I think instead of storing a number, it stores some special object saying it
has to animate that number. When the first frame is done, it updates that
one number and re-renders.

If you want to run any more complex code to move the camera, it will have to
re-parse to run the code again...