POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Phone for Invisible... : Re: Phone for Invisible... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Phone for Invisible...
From: scott
Date: 25 Nov 2008 03:00:42
Message: <492bb0aa@news.povray.org>
> On an only slightly related note, I'm still waiting till the OLED screens
> get cheap enough for consumer laptops :). My current laptop should
> survive till then.

OLED is fighting a very tough battle against LCD, when OLED was first
invented it instantly addressed many problems that LCD had (response time,
colour range, viewing angle, contrast).  But the problem is OLED can't
improve any further (except for the lifetime and cost issues), whereas LCD
has been catching up in leaps and bounds over the last 5-10 years.

If you buy a good quality LCD today (eg one used in a TV set or good
monitor, not a cheap laptop display), you will be very hard pressed to tell
it apart from an OLED display.  THe only thing LCD really needs to improve
to be totally on par with OLED is the contrast.  Currently consumer LCD
contrast tops out at about 1000:1 - 2000:1, this is still not good enough
for good blacks in a dark room.

When any consumer OLED monitor is released, it's going to need to pretty
sophisticated electronics or software to counteract the ageing of each
sub-pixel.  In current displays it doesn't matter if your display gets a bit
darker after a year or two of use, but it will be a bit annoying if you get
a permanent imprint of the windows task bar at the bottom of your monitor
:-)