POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : help - PO forward ray tracing : Re: help - PO forward ray tracing Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: help - PO forward ray tracing
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 24 Nov 2008 16:13:25
Message: <492b18f5@news.povray.org>
> thank you, I think I started to understand it.
> But still, can you recomend a good toturial in the subject? because I
> think I
> need pure farward raytracing (I am interested in the field every where and
> not
> only at the camera), and every toturial/book I found was about backwards
> ray
> tracing.
> "target".

Forward ray tracing is generally known as "unbiased" ray tracing.
With unbiased ray tracing the rays originate from the light sources,
then they travel out (in some random direction) and stike some
object, the ray then picks up color from the object, and deposits
some light information on the surface, and bounces off at some
appropriate angle, bouncing around until it strikes the camera.
Because the directions are somewhat random, there is no
knowing how many rays will be deposited onto the forming
image at what pixel locations, so in practice such rendering
programs allow the user to interactivly decide when the image
looks complete, and then stop the process.

Indigo is free, you might check if you can find source for them.