POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Phone for Invisible... : Re: Phone for Invisible... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Phone for Invisible...
From: scott
Date: 24 Nov 2008 03:02:53
Message: <492a5fad$1@news.povray.org>
> Well, if they get the laser projectors work I wouldn't be surprised if
> the projectors get *much* smaller than they are now (Still they will use
> a lot of power). I think Frauenhofer Institute has some prototype
> working, where the optics (excluding the electronics) is only a few cubic
> cm.

I saw a demo from these guys a couple of years ago which was only a few cc:

http://www.lightblueoptics.com

But as you mentioned, they told me back then the problem was the cost and
availability of small green laser diodes.  I'm sure that's on the way to
getting fixed though, and then we'll have all sorts of cool applications :-)

BTW the technology used is pretty interesting, they use a micro display,
just like in a conventional projector, but instead of creating the image on
the display, they create a hologram from the image and show this on the
display, then use the lasers with the display to recreate the image on any
surface.  The benefits of this system are that the image is always perfectly
in focus (so no need for moving lens) and that if one pixel or line fails in
the display, it affects every pixel in the final image equally so you
essentially don't notice it.  These two things will make them potentially
very cheap to manufacturer once the laser diodes drop in price.