POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : help - PO forward ray tracing : Re: help - PO forward ray tracing Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:14:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: help - PO forward ray tracing
From: Alain
Date: 23 Nov 2008 16:35:32
Message: <4929cca4$1@news.povray.org>
tsachi nous illumina en ce 2008-11-23 14:23 -->
> I am currently working on a UTD MOM hybrid solver.
> This is a solver for an electromagnetic waves that uses an hybrid method between
> geometrical optics and direct solving of the maxwell equations.
> In the part of the geometrical optics I am planning to use direct ray tracing
> (source to camera/point of measurement).
> My brother suggested I consult this website, and use parts of the ray tracer as
> a base for my program.
> I have encountered a problem understanding direct ray tracing.
> Unlike in backward ray tracing, the number of rays entering every pixel is not
> fixed (depends on the geometry and the density of the incoming rays).
> Say I double the incoming ray density so I will get a double number of rays
> hitting every pixel, but the actual number of rays is dependent on the
> geometry.
> So how do I normalize the value inside the pixel?
> Any one knows a good forward ray tracing tutorials that could help me?

You can't do "pure" forward tracing with POV-Ray.
You can do mixed forward/backward tracing when you use the photons feature.

When using that feature, rays are still traced from the camera. Rays comming
from a light source and passing trough a transparent object, or bouncing off
reflective objects are calculated, if the objects in question are designated as
"target".

The rays comming from a light source are evenly spaced. If you double the number
of rays, each ray will be half the intensity. So, there is a inbuilt normalisation.

--
Alain
Moonies: Only really happy shit happens.