POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube lameness : Re: YouTube lameness Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YouTube lameness
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Nov 2008 17:25:52
Message: <49273570$1@news.povray.org>
Florian Pesth wrote:
> It's hard to compare directly to the US, because our law system is quite
> different. But in principle you don't have to spend any money if you win
> the case. AFAIK the loosing party and the state pay for your legal costs
> (including costs for taking free days of your job).

That sounds like a better system. Ours seems to encourage people getting
their way by filing lawsuits they know they'd lose if the other side had
the money up front to fight it.

> The state even
> provides you with the money in advance to pay a lawyer if you can't pay
> it yourself (of course it would be claimed back, if you loose the case).

We do get that, even if you lose the case. Or rather, the government
assigns a lawyer to you, which is similar but not as good.

> What I mean to write is, it seems highly unlikely, that someone sues you
> out of existance as it seems it is possible in the US

Yep. That's sadly possible. I don't think anyone thinks it's a good idea
on a personal level, altho of course large companies like it.

You don't get that as much with criminal cases, because the government
has to supply a lawyer in those cases. Most people think those lawyers
aren't as good as the ones you pay for yourself, tho.

> I think I read that in some liability cases it
> is a real legal business and this law firms will take your case for free,
> if it is likely that it can be won.)

This is more "we'll countersue them for sueing you, and we'll take some
of the money you win if you win" sort of thing.

Some lawyer do "pro bono" work, which means they spend some of their
time for free helping those who need it.

But it's by no means cheap here to defend against any sort of civil or
criminal case that you win.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)