POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube lameness : Re: YouTube lameness Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YouTube lameness
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Nov 2008 16:51:12
Message: <49272d50$1@news.povray.org>
Florian Pesth wrote:
> Just to clarify a bit. The law in this case (§130 StGB) is against

> "Volksverhetzung" and the paragraph relating to that is:

I think there are a number of laws related, not just this. For example,
France tried to sue Yahoo for hosting auctions of Nazi memorabilia too.
(Oh, there, see the other post.)

> The intention of the law is to prevent someone like Hitler ever gaining

> power again in germany by extremists positions (remember, he was
> elected). That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Ah, so, because Hitler was bad, we're going to make sure you're not
allowed to advocate a political leader from a similar party? In spite of

  it being a democracy? :-)

The problem with all these sorts of things is the slippery slope, and
the application in ways that the original authors didn't intend. That
always happens here: the politicians pass some overly broad law,
everyone complains it's overly broad, the politicians say "it would
never be used in that way, that makes no sense."  And then you get
regular people being shipped off to foreign countries because they might

be terrorists.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)