POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What the Hell he's doing. : Re: What the Hell he's doing. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:21:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What the Hell he's doing.
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 21 Nov 2008 14:12:41
Message: <49270829@news.povray.org>
news:4926f5ac@news.povray.org...
> I say that I "don't have a life" because the way I'm living currently does
> *not* make me feel happy and fulfilled. And I'm sure there are plenty of
> people who never touch a computer who never the less feel just the same
> way.

I think you just hit the nail on the head.

I used to be much more of an introvert than I am now, but I seem to waiver
between "Having a life" and "not".  For me, the problem becomes when I
obsess on something to the point of neglecting other things which should be
a priority.  I don't feel good about myself when that happens.  I've done it
with programming, porn, poker, povray (to a lesser extent), and a hand-ful
of other things.

Generally, the phrase seems to be more about developing aquaintences,
friends, and otherwise being sociable.  But for the vast majority of the
population, they can never understand things like the thrill of getting X to
work after spending days/weeks/months of hard work to resolve a problem.
Alcoholics may "have a life", in terms of the idea that they are developing
the social aspects of their lives, but it is certainly not beneficial to
them.  But at least they don't drink alone...

Personally, I think that the times of "not having a life" need to be
balanced.  Last year, I worked (at my job) pretty much the entire month of
September and part of October.  I'd get home late, and had to work most
weekends.  It took a toll on me, but after the job was done, I took some
days off (not all in a row), and otherwise slowed down the pace.  The
overall effect for me was a great feeling of accomplishment (I met the
deadline) and then the time-off seemed so much sweeter.  But in that time, I
truly went into my own world.  I ate, drank, and slept my job
(figuratively).  I had "no life" in the social sense, but I felt very
fullfilled at my job.  For 1.5 months, I was the most important person at my
company.

Having been an introverted nerd, and whatever I am now (less introverted), I
honestly believe that getting out and exposing yourself to social situations
is good for the soul/psyche or whatever else you want to call it.  I don't
really believe that someone can be fullfilled without that.  I've been doing
a camping, bicycle tour for the last 4 years, and I'm really glad that I do
it.  It forces me to interact with people in situations where I would
otherwise feel uncomfortable.  Riding a bike alone for 6 hours/day REALLY
SUCKS!  Riding with good company can be a ton of fun!