POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube lameness : Re: YouTube lameness Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:17:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YouTube lameness
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Nov 2008 12:53:27
Message: <4926f597@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Ok, there is a difference: China has some kind of excuse.

Yep yep.  Also, having been there and having relatives there, I think
the amount of repression is vastly overblown. It seems to be a
benevolent dictatorship (so far), and most of the people really
appreciate what the government is doing for them. I wouldn't be
surprised if the Chinese government is better for their people than many
western governments were (say) 100 or 200 years ago. Certainly the
French wouldn't have felt the need to create a machine to more
efficiently behead their politicians if their government wasn't pretty
abusive at the time. :-)

Sure, when the police and the army are the same group, you get things
like tanks being brought in to suppress what's seen as a revolution. And
now that there's actual live international news broadcasts, you see that
stuff. But the US has done some pretty awful stuff not too different
from that in fairly recent history too.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)