POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : That Friday feeling : Re: That Friday feeling Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:19:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: That Friday feeling
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 21 Nov 2008 11:01:51
Message: <4926db6f$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> The nurse was actually quite friendly, but... well the doctor did want
> blood out of me. No matter how sweetly they smile at you, you're still
> getting stabbed in the arm! :-S

True... very true. Still, I try to be as kind to the nurse as possible. :)

> I just closed my eyes and tried to relax. It stings like crazy when they
> put it in. Didn't feel the aspiration process much, but it hurt like a
> bitch when it went in. And taking it out wasn't so hot. The major thing
> though is that now every time I move my arm, I get a sharp pain going
> deep into the tissue. :-S

I generally focus on a point on the wall in the opposite direction of
the arm they're about to stab.

> True fact: If you look up any medical condition on Wikipedia, I can
> almost guarantee at least some of the symptoms will have you going
> "yeah, I sometimes get that..."

Oh, yeah... My mom is actually diabetic, so I tend to be alert to
whether I'm drinking too much during the day, needing to get up at
night, things like that.

>> Heh, sounds like you had a psychopathic nurse.
>
> Nah. I think she was just glad to not have to play "let's find a usable
> vein" for 20 minutes...

Ah, they almost always have to do that with me. Once they wanted to do a
blood test because I kept getting ear infections, but they couldn't find
a vein. They kept poking around... >.< eventually they got the "expert"
and managed to get it on their first try.

> As an aside, my dad sometimes works with blood samples. Do you have any
> idea how much **** there is floating in some of them?! The really fun
> ones are where you have to scrape through an inch of solid cow lard to
> get to the liquid blood underneith! :-S

Ugh..cholesterol?

> Alice's daughter was rather late. 11 lb 6 oz. Born naturally.
> (EVENTUALLY! It took her all day to do it though...)

Wow.. that's a monster! Wait, are lbs in the U.K. the same as lbs in the
U.S?

> Jamie's first-born was delivered by emergency C-section. As in, she was
> put into labour (early) and baby's heartbeat went through the floor, so
> they whisked her away and a few minutes later there was a very sickly
> little baby.

My wife's c-section wasn't an emergency, but was urgent, so I was able
to be in the room while they did the operation.

> Jamie's second was born naturally, but... well Jamie is only a lil girl.
> Apparently there was rather a lot of ripping involved. o_O

Ouch.

--
~Mike