POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of strife : Re: My CV Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My CV
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 20 Nov 2008 16:55:06
Message: <4925dcba@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
>>> You never wrote a script that fixed something?
>> Nope.
>
> So, the script that checks the CDs, or that does the pings... what did
> you do with the output of those?  Toss it away after looking at it,
> going "Hmmm, interesting."   Or did you (for example) give the ping
> report to the ISP to get them to diagnose the problem from their end?

The ping data I tossed away. What I really *should* do at some point is
set it up to run constantly in the background, so it will generate
enough data for me to draw some kind of useful conclusion. (E.g., do the
repeated email outages I'm seeing correlate with a loss of Internet
connectivity, or just VPN connectivity? Or is it just the email server
itself? Obviously it never actually fails when I'm testing out my script!)

>>> Suggestion: don't put on your resume that there are a whole bunch of
>>> other more-experienced people available, either. They know that too. :-)
>>
>> Right, so... why are they going to hire me again??
>
> Because you're there, and the experienced people are happy where they
> are? :)

Hmm. This requires several assumptions about the concentration of people
having the necessary skills verses the multiplicity (and churn factor)
of suitable positions of employment...

http://xkcd.com/309/

>> Ooo, AmigaGuide, an obsolete markup language that predates HTML 1.0 by
>> several years. They *really* need to know about that! :-P
>
> It shows your breadth of knowledge. If you have the room, put it in. If
> you don't, of course leave it out.

So you think I should just put together the biggest god-damned list
possible? Just to show off what an uber-nerd I am?

Won't that look like I just did a Google search and wrote down anything
that looks technical?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/