POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube lameness : Re: YouTube lameness Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:16:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YouTube lameness
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Nov 2008 14:36:09
Message: <4925bc29$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Fredrik Eriksson <fe79}--at--{yahoo}--dot--{com> wrote:
>> Acquitted. He was not sued though; he was tried on criminal charges.
>
>   I'm not acquainted with the legal terminology. What's the difference?

Criminal charges is when the government tries to put you in jail for
something. A lawsuit is when a private individual tries to get you to
give them money for something.

If you're in a car accident, you might get a lawsuit from the other
person who wants you to pay their medical bills.

If you intentionally try to run someone down, you'll get criminal
charges of attempted murder or some such, and it'll be the government
(and not the person you tried to run down) that will be giving you trouble.

Lawsuits fall into "contract law" and "torts."  Contract law comes up
when you break an agreement with some other party. "Torts" are when you
don't have a prior agreement. So "contract law" covers things like (say)
warranties and buying something that never gets delivered and stuff like
that.  A "tort" would be someone at the store leaving a broom across the
stairs that you trip over and hurt yourself, or spilling hot McD's
coffee in your lap.

In the USA, there are different legal standards, since the government is
presumed to have so much more money and power than an individual. A
lawsuit between private individuals can't lead to jail time, so whoever
provides a "preponderance of evidence", which is to say a bit more than
50%, wins.  For something with jail time, you need "beyond a reasonable
doubt", i.e., no reasonable person could doubt that you're guilty.

And then you have "felony" and "misdemeanor", the first of which is
possible jail time more than a year, the latter of which is jail time
necessarily less than a year.  (Like, say, murder verses vandalism.)

I'm not a lawyer, I know virtually nothing about law outside the USA,
and none of this likely applies to you. :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)