POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of strife : Re: Another day of strife Server Time
10 Oct 2024 09:30:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another day of strife
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Nov 2008 13:50:05
Message: <4925b15d@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> ....unless they say "so how much are you expecting us to pay you?" ;-)

Anyone who is the first to give a number in a negotiation loses.

The right answer to this question is "what's the range you've budgetted
for the job?"  Followed by "I can work with that."

If they ask "What did you make at the last job?" the answer is "I've
made between $X and $Y in previous positions."  Of course, you're just
starting out, so that's difficult. Instead a good answer is "I'd like to
start with $X at this position."  What you made in the job you're
leaving is irrelevant and detrimental.

Other countries, of course, may have other customs.

I'd suggest picking up a book on negotiating tactics. It'll be well
worth the price, and easy to understand.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)