POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XKCD is amusing for once... : Re: XKCD is amusing for once... Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:05:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XKCD is amusing for once...
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Nov 2008 13:44:42
Message: <4925b01a$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Science is seriously interesting stuff. However, making it *look*
> interesting is quite hard.

I can heartily recommend to anyone who comes to the New York City that
you visit the American Museum of Natural History. The lobby, for
example, has a herd of 13 full-grown elephants (stuffed, of course).
It's looks kind of lost and lonely in the middle of the lobby. The cafe
has a full-size model of a blue whale hanging from the ceiling. If you
actually see all of it, it takes several days. There's a subway stop in
the basement, and it's free-ish. (Donation requested, basically.)

> OK, most of those are pretty self-explanatory. But a thermometer? Who'd
> have thought of making *that* out of a coil of wire?

It's called a bimetalic strip. ;-) Hence the need for two coils.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)