POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube lameness : Re: YouTube lameness Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:14:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YouTube lameness
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Nov 2008 13:23:10
Message: <4925ab0e$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>>> Publishing derogatory comments, especially when generalising about a
>>> certain group of people is a very dangerous thing to do,
>>
>> No it's not.  It's *words*.
>
> Try telling that to a newspaper editor!  They can't go publishing things
> like I suggested without risking being sued or having some fine.

Well, if you lie about someone in a way that damages their reputation,
yes. But that's not we're talking about. Certainly newspaper editors can
(for example)

In theory, you're allowed to say anything that's true. "It's my opinion
that ..." is true, since you've stated it as your opinion. Even if it's
"It's my opinion fascism is good" or "it's my opinion that God hates
you" or "I don't believe the holocaust ever happened." Which is some of
the stuff that (for example) Germany and France don't like to hear.

The problem with suppressing such things is that people wind up not
being able to discuss it in public, and in private people use the
censorship as an argument that they're right.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)