POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XKCD is amusing for once... : Re: XKCD is amusing for once... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XKCD is amusing for once...
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Nov 2008 09:11:14
Message: <49257002$1@news.povray.org>
>> OK, most of those are pretty self-explanatory. But a thermometer?
>> Who'd have thought of making *that* out of a coil of wire?
>
> Yeah, hmm. Some dial types use a bimetallic spring. Which I suppose is
> essentially a coil of wire. :) sort of ... That's a stretch, though.

Ah, now, you see... the electrical resistence of a wire is proportional
to its temperature. So by having a long *coil* of wire, you have enough
wire for the resistence to be large enough to be measurable, and because
it's a coil, it's all in "the same place" and should have uniform
temperature. Compare the resistence of the test coil to the reference
coil (constructed the same way and held at a known temperature) and
you've got yourself an electronic thermometer. QED.

> Actually, an amazingly simple piece of technology exists in your car:
> the thermostat that controls the flow of water to the radiator.

D. Attenborough pointed out that a large Oak tree sucks multiple tonnes
of water out of the ground and lifts it 40 or 50 feet into the air each
day - with no moving parts.

A fire engine does the same thing - but using a rawring diesel engine
running on purified hydrocarbon energy. And not terribly efficient either.

The way the Oak does it is quite ingenius: IT USES THE LAWS OF PHYSICS.
Specifically, as water evapourates out of th leaves, that sucks more
water out of the branches - which sucks water out of the thunk, whic
sucks water out of the ground. So it's a completely passive system, and
it always delivers exactly the right amount of water without needing any
control systems.

Mankind, you have been PWN3D.