POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XKCD is amusing for once... : Re: XKCD is amusing for once... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XKCD is amusing for once...
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 20 Nov 2008 09:04:25
Message: <49256e69@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> I used to like watching TV programs like Local Heroes and Rough Science.
> (I say "used to" since these are no longer produced, sadly.) Rough
> Science in particular was great in that it depicted people making all
> sorts of improbable devices out of old junk.

Heh, I have fond memories of Mr Wizard as a child.

> OK, most of those are pretty self-explanatory. But a thermometer? Who'd
> have thought of making *that* out of a coil of wire?

Yeah, hmm. Some dial types use a bimetallic spring. Which I suppose is
essentially a coil of wire. :) sort of ... That's a stretch, though.

Actually, an amazingly simple piece of technology exists in your car:
the thermostat that controls the flow of water to the radiator. Purely
mechanical, no electronics, but works to maintain the temp of the
coolant in the engine within a certain range. Just a couple metal parts
and a chunk of wax.

--
~Mike