POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What the Hell he's doing. : Re: What the Hell he's doing. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What the Hell he's doing.
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 20 Nov 2008 08:41:01
Message: <492568ed$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> IIRC, this involves generating a pulse train from an analogue signal.
> This train consists of negative and positive pulses in such a way that
> if you average them together, you get the original signal. But actually
> to make the converter, you send the pulses to a counter, which then
> converts them into normal binary numbers.

Sounds like PWM.

Fun stuff. A while back I was playing around with some DSP-type stuff.
What I found was interesting is that if you generate an ideal square
wave, them attempt to sweep it, you'll get audible artifacts, but if you
generate the square wave by adding sine waves at odd harmonics, and you
use a cycle of that generated wave to produce a sweep, it works nice and
smooth, as it should.

--
~Mike