POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XKCD is amusing for once... : Re: XKCD is amusing for once... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XKCD is amusing for once...
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 20 Nov 2008 08:32:59
Message: <4925670b$1@news.povray.org>
>> Sadly, the science museum near us doesn't even have one of these.
>
> Make one! :-D

Meh. Maybe.

My statement was more of a commentary of the vapid nature of our local
"science" museum. All they had was a Tesla coil powered light show (you
know, a larger version of the plasma ball) as a demonstration of
"lightning" and a few optical illusions. Oh, yeah, and a playground for
the kids.

I want a *real* science museum, dammit. Like the one I went to as a kid.
  Had several electrical things, science demonstrations involving many
facets of physics. Lots of interaction with sound waves, light, heat and
electricity. It made science interesting! Oh, yes, and as a centerpiece
it had the aforementioned pendulum. And plaques that explained what was
happening.

The one we went to that was nearby was dull and hollow. They were
setting up some "science of sports" exhibit, but the main exhibits were
a few things about meteorology (you see, I'm in the southernmost part of
Tornado Alley) which included a few yawn inducing demonstrations (I
can't even remember what they were but they didn't really do much, oh,
yeah one that showed that heat rises, and a few pictures of storm
damage), and a artificial tornado. The rest of the main room was nothing
but optical illusions. Then it was some farm exhibit, for the kiddies,
and a playground. That was IT.

--
~Mike