POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of strife : Re: Another day of strife Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:24:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another day of strife
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Nov 2008 07:36:33
Message: <492559d1$1@news.povray.org>
>> I don't think we've ever had a pay rise that big here. Roughly once
>> every 3 years they add maybe 1.5%. (And oddly, when we get a raise
>> everybody complains...?)
>
> That's terrible, haven't you noticed that the price of everything around
> you is going up by far more than 1.5% every 3 years? So you're actually
> earning LESS now than 6 years ago!

...and I would notice prices, why? I never buy anything, remember? ;-)

(Well, except petrol. When I got my first car, it used to cost £30 to
fill it up. Last time I did that, it cost me £60. OUCH!)

But yeah, every time a pay rise is announced, everybody complains about
it being "a pay cut". Surely *not* getting a rise would be worse??

>> Well, they did hire me explicitly because they were forced to hire
>> somebody and "I'm cheap". As you say, I'm still here, so why should
>> they pay me any more?
>
> Exactly.  You never know, once you tell them you are leaving for another
> job, they might offer you a pay rise to keep you.  But by the sounds of
> it they would probably just try to get by without replacing you ;-)

Heh. Part of me wants to see the look on their stupid faces when they
find out how much a "normal" technical expert wants to be paid to do the
job I do. ;-)

But hey, I'm sure they'll find a monkey who can do the job on my salary.
I doubt they'll be as good as me, but will the company care?

(We're talking about the company that paid for a support contract from a
firm who's employees clearly haven't got a clue how to fix an air
conditioning system. When we called them out, they spent 2 hours
standing outside playing football!)

>> The "traditional" approach seems to be that when you need find the
>> person who's best at their job, and then make them a manager and give
>> them a sack more money.
>
> Usually you choose the person who you think is going to be best at being
> manager, not necessarily (and often not) the best outright technical guy.

This would make far more sense. As I understand it, being a manager is
primarily about people skills.