POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of strife : Re: Another day of strife Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another day of strife
From: scott
Date: 20 Nov 2008 07:04:23
Message: <49255247$1@news.povray.org>
> (I don't know if Google is giving you different result from where you are,
> but mine says £23k-£24k.)

Oops sorry getting confused with euros and pounds there, mine says 24K
POUNDS too lol.

> I don't think we've ever had a pay rise that big here. Roughly once every
> 3 years they add maybe 1.5%. (And oddly, when we get a raise everybody
> complains...?)

That's terrible, haven't you noticed that the price of everything around you
is going up by far more than 1.5% every 3 years? So you're actually earning
LESS now than 6 years ago!

> Well, they did hire me explicitly because they were forced to hire
> somebody and "I'm cheap". As you say, I'm still here, so why should they
> pay me any more?

Exactly.  You never know, once you tell them you are leaving for another
job, they might offer you a pay rise to keep you.  But by the sounds of it
they would probably just try to get by without replacing you ;-)

> The "traditional" approach seems to be that when you need find the person
> who's best at their job, and then make them a manager and give them a sack
> more money.

Usually you choose the person who you think is going to be best at being
manager, not necessarily (and often not) the best outright technical guy.

> Which I always thought was a bit strange, given that (say) knowing how to
> diagnose line faults really well isn't particularly correlated with
> knowing how to manage people...

But being really bad about diagnosing line faults is a far worse situation.
I guess there are "technical managers" and purely "admin managers".
Technical managers need to know their stuff well, otherwise what do they say
when one of their employees has a question?