POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Gamma correction of input colours/image files : Re: Gamma correction of input colours/image files Server Time
17 May 2024 20:58:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma correction of input colours/image files
From: scott
Date: 20 Nov 2008 06:35:13
Message: <49254b71$1@news.povray.org>
>> Why not? If you've set display_gamma to 1.0 then both color 0.5 and
>> display_color 0.5 will give 50% brightness.
>
> If display_gamma is 1.0, then no output gamma correction would occur and
> it
> would give an output pixel of 128,128,128, which is for 2.2 gamma only
> about
> ~21% brightness.

Oh OK, I was assuming that you would set display_gamma correctly for
whatever device you wanted to "view" the output on.  Of course if you set
that incorrectly then everything is going to be screwed up, including
shadows, diffuse lighting etc let alone the colours.

> I think this or 3.  If your are using images from the web, their gamma may
> not
> be the same as your monitor gamma.

Oh I didn't realise that colours on the web had gamma, I thought that
255,128,64 would display the same no matter if it was in HTML color
statement or png file or jpeg file etc.  IIRC everything on the web is
designed for use in sRGB color space, so gamma of 2.2?

All I'm thinking is that I know lots of places have certain RGB colour
values that are assigned for brand colours etc or just used in web sites for
the "core colours".  These are presumably designed with gamma 2.2 in mind,
it would just be nice to use those RGB values (and any images already made
that contain them) directly in POV without any tricks.