POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of strife : Re: Another day of strife Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:21:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another day of strife
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Nov 2008 05:54:53
Message: <492541fd@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> If you say a number that's too high, they'll do "damn, we're not
>> paying that!" and not hire you. And if you say a number that's too
>> low, they'll be all like "haha, this guy doesn't have a clue!"
>
> Depends how important finances are to the company compared with getting
> the right person.  There is a wide range where they will take note of
> you.

Heh, well, almost everybody *claims* they want the most brilliant
people. I think some of them are more serious about it than others
though. ;-)

>> Uh-huh. And they're not going to check this and find out I'm blatently
>> lying?
>
> No, how on Earth do you imagine that they could find out your salary?

They call my employer and ask them? It's not rocket science.

>> Besides, do I really want to work for somebody where I have to lie to
>> get what I desurve?
>
> If they sense that they could offer you 20K and you'd accept, they will.
> If you say your current salary is 25K then there is no way they would
> offer you 20K.  It's up to you.

Heh. But if I was getting paid 25K to sit here posting monad tutorials
on povray.off-topic, why would I be looking for another job? ;-)

Since the pay is one of my major motivations for wanting to leave, I
think I'm going to have trouble explaining that one. (Altough I guess
the incompetent management and the empty order book and the stream of
people leaving the company would be another reason...)

>> OOC... I run a small computer network, and I write technical
>> documents. What do you estimate I *should* be being paid for that?
>
> With a computer science degree and 6 years experience, I'd say around
> 25K was about right, maybe even more if you've really gotten into
> improving the network infrastructure etc rather than just being a
> support person following orders.

If I had the cheque book, and people would *listen* to what I'm saying,
I could do that... But hey, that's why I'm moving!

Benny seems to think I should be earning 30K - 40K. (Working for
somebody else, that is.) Personally I think that's a little ambitious
for somebody of my limited skill. As I understand it, technical people
don't merit such high salaries, only salesmen and managers.