POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of strife : Re: Another day of strife Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:25:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another day of strife
From: scott
Date: 20 Nov 2008 05:47:33
Message: <49254045@news.povray.org>
> If you say a number that's too high, they'll do "damn, we're not paying
> that!" and not hire you. And if you say a number that's too low, they'll
> be all like "haha, this guy doesn't have a clue!"

Depends how important finances are to the company compared with getting the
right person.  There is a wide range where they will take note of you.  For
a job we recently advertised we were expecting to have to pay around 70K
euro, but the people we did interview were asking for around 50-60K euro,
which was a bonus!

> Uh-huh. And they're not going to check this and find out I'm blatently
> lying?

No, how on Earth do you imagine that they could find out your salary?

> Besides, do I really want to work for somebody where I have to lie to get
> what I desurve?

If they sense that they could offer you 20K and you'd accept, they will. If
you say your current salary is 25K then there is no way they would offer you
20K.  It's up to you.

> OOC... I run a small computer network, and I write technical documents.
> What do you estimate I *should* be being paid for that?

With a computer science degree and 6 years experience, I'd say around 25K
was about right, maybe even more if you've really gotten into improving the
network infrastructure etc rather than just being a support person following
orders.