POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of strife : Re: My CV Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:10:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My CV
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 19 Nov 2008 19:58:06
Message: <4924b61d@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Pipe organ recitals!
>
> LOL! As if anybody is going to care... but sure, I can put that in. ;-)

Google would care. I heard they want people with wide interests. Playing an
organ means you have some interests outside computers.

>> Eighteen year history of .... then list every language you could write
>> Hello World in. :-)
>
> Erm, I can see this getting me into trouble. It's unwise to claim
> extensive experience with something unless you really do *have* that
> experience.

When did Darren tell you to say "extensive experience"?

>> Passion for teaching and mentoring, with a strong track record of
>> explaining complex topics in understandable ways. Samples available on
>> request.
>
> Er, dude... like *what*? :-P

That Haskell parser thing I don't even remember the name of. I understood it
without even knowing Haskell. I insist: put that in the Haskell wiki!

> The last two there being particularly relevant for the company I'm about
> to try to get attention from. (They design stuff like low-end 3D
> hardware and MPEG decoders.)

Again, it doesn't matter if it's relevant *for that company*; you aren't
going to make custom CVs for each job application.

>> You can't just say "I did C and Pascal."  You have to say what *you*
>> did, not what Ritchie and Wirth did. :-) Pretend the person looking at
>> your resume didn't go to school for computers and doesn't even know what
>> any of those words mean.
>
> Whohewho? o_O

Ritchie is one of the creators of C. Never heard of Wirth, but from the
sentence I'd guess he made Pascal...