POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of strife : Re: My CV Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My CV
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Nov 2008 19:17:18
Message: <4924ac8e$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 09:46:55 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> Neither of these things have saved anybody money. The scripts save my
> time. (Which means I can spent more time surfing the web - but I don't
> have to mention that part.)

This may come as a shock to you, but TIME = MONEY.  Yes, it's true.

You say they pay you 14K per year.  If we break that down into 40 hour
weeks, 52 weeks per year, that works out to a certain hourly rate you're
paid.

Now, if you write a script that saves you an hour a day twice a week,
that's 2 hours per week, 104 hours per year.  Multiply by your hourly
wage, and you get a dollar figure.  That's money saved.

A prospective employer doesn't need to know how you use the time you've
saved.  They need to know that you can write scripts that save the
company money and effort.

I spend some of my time each day doing data entry for an exam
registration system (my job changed a couple months ago, and earlier this
month, I moved to a completely different role).  I'm looking to automate
that process.  It takes me maybe an hour or two every couple of days to
do what I have to do with the data entry portion of it.  If I can get it
automated, that saves the company several thousand dollars per year in
data entry expenses, and I can take on other more interesting tasks that
might otherwise not get done.

You do a lot of math - so DO THE MATHS.

Jim