POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XKCD is amusing for once... : Re: XKCD is amusing for once... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XKCD is amusing for once...
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Nov 2008 01:12:40
Message: <4923ae58$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Or it could be that things get more and more complex to explain what
> we're seeing, since you need all the rules we're familiar with to
> explain things at our level, *plus* additional rules to explain things
> at other levels.

The rules at other levels are actually pretty simple. It's understanding
1) how to actually calculate the values, and
2) what it means statistically when you add up huge numbers of
almost-zero values
that it gets tricky.

E=mc^2  - That's pretty much it. :-)

There's only something like ten numbers plugged into something like four
or five equations that essentially describe the entire universe (as far
as people understand it).

The problem is that the equations are an infinite number of
successively-smaller values for even something as simple as "an electron
goes from here to there", let alone to the complexity of the cultural
interactions between clusters of neurons leading to "some people believe
in a god."

And of course, there's *just* enough weird stuff going on that people
aren't quite sure what's happening.  QED is pretty well figured out, and
relativity certainly seems to check out, but gravity is incompatible
with QED and every time someone figures out something cosmological,
something else crops up to add another free variable (hence, dark
matter, dark energy, dark force, dark gravity, etc).

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)