POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XKCD is amusing for once... : Re: XKCD is amusing for once... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XKCD is amusing for once...
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 18 Nov 2008 20:13:32
Message: <4923683c@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> More specifically, I would imagine this is Wolfram's assertion that
>> the universe might be a giant CA, which would explain why certain
>> physical quantities have a discrete, "quantum" nature.
>
> There are a number of people who assert such a thing, actually. Wolfram
> was more summarizing there than inventing, methinks.

If I recall correctly, the specifics of the possibilities he suggest for
how the current laws of physics can be computed by a CA are also
provably wrong under a rather reasonable set of assumptions.  (note that
I might be getting the details on this wrong, since it was a while back
that I read about it).  I can try to find the link again if anyone's
interested.

When I get some free time I'll still read the book though, since I'm
curious about it and I'm sure that it will still be interesting, I'm
just highly skeptical of his main thesis.