POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XKCD is amusing for once... : Re: XKCD is amusing for once... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XKCD is amusing for once...
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 18 Nov 2008 15:30:37
Message: <492325ed$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> I saw an interesting lecture (Carl Sagan, I think?) who pointed out that
> if we were the size of insects, we'd barely notice gravity and we'd be
> much more concerned about surface tension, for example.

Or if we were radically larger/smaller, the concept of a "fixed point in
space" would seem incongruous.

(On a large scale, planets, stars and galaxies wander round all over the
place Similarly on a sufficiently small scale.)

Why no SciFi writers have caught on to this idea I don't know...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/