POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of strife : Re: Another day of strife Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:20:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another day of strife
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Nov 2008 08:35:31
Message: <4922c4a3$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> I gather some of them have friends and are able to pool their
>> resources to rent somewhere.
>
> If you earn 25K you'll have, what 1500 GBP a month to spend?  I'm pretty
> sure that even for a third of that you could rent somewhere half decent
> by yourself.  If you like it there (the job and the location) you could
> buy somewhere small after a year or two.  That way you're not wasting
> money on rent each month.

All I know is that my sister lives in Guildford, she earns *twice* what
me and my mum combined earn, her boyfriend earns a similar salary again,
and they're *still* always broke.

Apparently, the nearer you get to London, the more expensive everything
becomes.

> You won't believe how much nicer it is to only have to commute 5-10 mins
> to work each day.  I didn't think it was too much of a problem doing 45
> mins each way, but once I moved I swore I would never go back to
> anything more than 20 mins each way.

Oh well, I would *much* prefer to not have to crawl out of bed and spent
an hour of my life driving. But since there doesn't seem to be much in
the way of computer jobs in MK, gotta be realistic. (Apparently. So the
last consultant I spoke to said.)

>> It says "up to" 25K.
>
> That's because it's aimed at graduates, someone with your experience and
> degree would easily expect the 25K or more.

Does changing some tapes once a day count as "experience"? I guess it
might...

>> Your employer [usually] wants you to stick around. *Customers* don't
>> care if you get infected, crawl under a rock and die a slow, painful
>> death - just so long as they get their system working again. And they
>> aren't afraid to say so to your face.
>
> Funny, the customers I deal with are not like that at all.  They
> appreciate the work I do and with most of them the relationship is
> pretty similar to that I have with my colleagues.  Maybe it's because
> we're always working on the same level with technical issues, it's not
> like I have a meeting with the CEO of BMW where he's shouting at me to
> do something which is impossible.  In fact with most of our customers we
> usually go out for dinner with them after meetings and generally have a
> good time.

Damn, you have some much nicer customers than us!

(Ours are famous for not having the slightest clue what they want from
us, but getting extremely angry when we don't give it to them. And they
send in auditors once every few years to prove we're doing our jobs
wrong...)