POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of strife : Re: Another day of strife Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another day of strife
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Nov 2008 07:33:16
Message: <4922b60c$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> ...because I can't afford to move?
>
> What, you think all the people earning under 25K live on the streets or
> with their parents?

I gather some of them have friends and are able to pool their resources
to rent somewhere.

I guess I could sell everything I own and use it to pay for a 1-room
prison cell like the one Marcus has. I don't really see how this would
be an "improvement" to my life though.

> Really, limiting yourself to within daily driving
> distance from your mum's house is a bit childish, and going to severely
> limit your opportunities.

Who wouldn't want to work somewhere near to where they actualy live?

It's not like it has to be right next to my front door, but I would like
it to be within a *sane* distance, yes. (E.g., Northampton, Buckingham
or even Cambridge wouldn't be too bad.)

>> Well, what it comes down to is this: If I'm going to apply for
>> something, it needs to be bettER than what I currently have. It needs
>> to be nearer or better paid or less stressful or *something*.
>
> Almost double the salary, probably far less stressful, a better
> organised IT structure, way more opportunities to do other stuff and be
> recognised for it, and it will look good on your CV for when you come to
> apply for a job you *really* want to do.

It says "up to" 25K. (In other words, that's not what they'll be paying
*me*.) There's absolutely no guarantee it'll be any less stressful. It
could in fact be far *more* stressful.

I agree with the part about my CV though.

>> And the "significant travelling will be involved" leads
>> me to think this is probably a customer-facing role, which absolutely
>> rules it out of consideration.)
>
> It probably just means they have a few different sites which you will
> need to visit quite often, who knows, maybe one of them is near where
> you live now?

Maybe. But even so, would *you* want to spend a "significant amount" of
time driving from A to B? Besides, it does say "analyst" in the title
(altough that isn't any guarantee either).

> And even if one of the other sites belongs to a different
> company (a "customer" facing role) it's really no difference for you
> because they'll all be new people anyway.

Your employer [usually] wants you to stick around. *Customers* don't
care if you get infected, crawl under a rock and die a slow, painful
death - just so long as they get their system working again. And they
aren't afraid to say so to your face.

I wish to avoid customers at all costs.