POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of strife : Re: Another day of strife Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another day of strife
From: scott
Date: 18 Nov 2008 07:19:15
Message: <4922b2c3$1@news.povray.org>
> ...because I can't afford to move?

What, you think all the people earning under 25K live on the streets or with
their parents?  Really, limiting yourself to within daily driving distance
from your mum's house is a bit childish, and going to severely limit your
opportunities.

> Well, what it comes down to is this: If I'm going to apply for something,
> it needs to be bettER than what I currently have. It needs to be nearer or
> better paid or less stressful or *something*.

Almost double the salary, probably far less stressful, a better organised IT
structure, way more opportunities to do other stuff and be recognised for
it, and it will look good on your CV for when you come to apply for a job
you *really* want to do.

> I think the specific job you mentioned fails on this test. (I'd be driving
> *towards* the traffic jams, rather than away from them like I currently
> do. And the "significant travelling will be involved" leads me to think
> this is probably a customer-facing role, which absolutely rules it out of
> consideration.)

It probably just means they have a few different sites which you will need
to visit quite often, who knows, maybe one of them is near where you live
now?  And even if one of the other sites belongs to a different company (a
"customer" facing role) it's really no difference for you because they'll
all be new people anyway.