POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of strife : Re: Another day of strife Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another day of strife
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Nov 2008 06:07:18
Message: <4922a1e6$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> I'll tell you why I put up with it: I have no choice. Unfortunately
>> nobody else is willing to even interview much less employ me.
>
> You're either applying for the wrong jobs or doing something wrong with
> your CV or covering letter then.

Well, I don't know. Just last weekend I applied to about half a dozen
jobs on a graduate recruitement website. Thus far, I have heard... nothing.

I keep applying to all these jobs, and I never hear anything. It sucks.
It's the most demotivational thing *ever*. (As if wading through
hundreds of pages of unsuitable jobs wasn't bad enough already...)

> Why don't you post your CV and covering letter here and I'm sure a few
> people will volunteer some helpful feedback.  After that you can take
> into account whatever advice you choose to and work with that.  I
> understand if you don't want to though, I wouldn't want to :-)

You know, it's amazing. Do you have any idea how many people I've paid
to look at my CV? I hate to think about the amount of money I've spent.
And yet each consultant always manages to find something that needs
improving. (And usually I agree with their comments, actually.)

> It's just plain incorrect that you won't be able to find another job
> elsewhere, think of all the other people who are *way* less skilled than
> you, they manage to find jobs ok.

Then maybe it's just the fact that I want to find a job that's *better*
than the one I have? I'm sure if I applied to clean fridges at M&S
again, I'd be hired within minutes. (The last time I applied, they
didn't even interview me. They just told me to turn up that evening to
start work. And I did.)

> BTW I just did a very quick search on Monster.co.uk by typing in "backup
> IT" and it gave this job:
>
> http://jobview.monster.co.uk/GetJob.aspx?JobID=77477279
>
> I would say if you don't get an interview for that job you are doing
> something seriously wrong on your CV or covering letter.  And because
> you have several years experience, I think you could easily ask for and
> expect to get the 25K salary.
>
> What's stopping you?

...it's in London?

Besides, I'd like to get *out* of computer support.

Ideally I'd like to become a computer programmer. But maybe I'm just
being completely unrealistic here. After all, I've only been writing
computer programs for 19 years straight in two dozen different
programming languages. It's not as if I have commercial experience or
anything. (Or knowledge of the popular languages.)

PS. My CV is currently on Monster. Once every few months, some recruiter
emails me about it. I telephone them, they sound really excited, I never
hear anything ever again. (I call them a few more times, but they're
either "not in the office right now" or they say they'll "get back to me".)