POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hints for drivers : Re: Hints for drivers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hints for drivers
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Nov 2008 12:27:33
Message: <4921a985@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> In most states in the USA, if your car hasn't gotten across the *far*
>> white line when the light goes red, technically you're in the
>> intersection on a red light.
>
> Is that illegal then, to be *in* the intersection when the light you
> passed on the way in is red?  What happens if you are wanting to turn
> left and have to wait until all the cars coming the opposite way have
> stopped on red - is that illegal if your light has switched back to
> red?  Or what if traffic is moving slowly and you set off into the
> intersection on green, but then it changes to red before you make it to
> the other side?

Technically, yes, you're in trouble. You're not supposed to enter the
intersection unless you can clear the other side legally.  Don't pull
into the middle of the intersection to turn - wait in the turn lane, for
example.

In New York City, where such leads to deadlock, the fine is something
like $500 to be in the intersection when the light changes.

In practice, no, you rarely get in trouble, unless you do something else
stupid too and it's something they add on top.

> Yeh I have that sometimes too, although usually it's just because I
> don't want to break hard to stop in time, then I decide to keep going,
> but then I realise it's going to be a bit risky and it might go red so I
> slam on the brakes anyway!

Yes, that's what my technique was invented to solve. I decide I'm going
to go, and if it turns red anyway, I go anyway. Of course, one has to be
somewhat concervative.

I've learned it helps if you're in a suit and tie, also.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)