POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hints for drivers : Re: Hints for drivers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hints for drivers
From: scott
Date: 17 Nov 2008 03:01:31
Message: <492124db$1@news.povray.org>
> The other ones that bug me is when traffic is heavy, and instead of
> leaving the intersection open enough, when the light's green, five cars
> will pull into the middle of the three-lane-road intersection, just so
> they can "get through the light."

Here you're not meant to enter the intersection unless your exit is clear
(or you can be sure it will be clear when you get there).  ie you're not
meant to stop in the middle of the intersection, the only exception is if
you are turning across the oncoming traffic, where you are allowed to wait
in the middle.

> Of course, when the cross traffic gets the green, the intersection is
> still full. So most people will drive in front of the people already stuck
> and start blowing the horn.

How do they drive in front of the people stuck in the middle?  Usually here
the idiots who block the intersection go as far forward as they can so it's
impossible to go in front of them, sometimes you have to weave around behind
them, particularly fun if it's more than one lane.

> I think in the USA you'd get even worse constitutional challenges if the
> camera was hidden.

Hehe, a hidden camera to catch people driving illegally?  Bah no we can't
possibly have that - the people must know exactly which section of road they
have to drive legally on!

> I'd be more worried that in the case of an accident, there's no way for
> the emergency vehicles to get to the problem area, myself.

When there is no shoulder here you are meant to leave a gap between the two
lanes (ie you stop over the left side of the left lane, and over to the
right side of the right lane), that usually leaves plenty of gap for
emergency services to come through.  Pretty sensible as some of the
remaining old autobahns here don't have a shoulder, also some of the newer
ones can be switched from a shoulder to a proper lane depending on the
traffic volume.