POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another Toccata : Re: Another Toccata Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another Toccata
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Nov 2008 14:21:31
Message: <492072bb$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:

> But anyway, drums&bass seem to be the only way of getting people to listen to a
> violin today.  This and "Girl with electronic violin" with violin sounding like
> a guitar... :P

Personally, I happen to like many different styles of music.

I really liked the theme music to Pirates of the Carribean. But I also
really liked the techno remix I found on YouTube. I thought it was
really clever how somebody could take a piece of music in one style and
play it in a completely different style, yet have it still immediately
obvious that it's still the same piece. I like *both* performances, for
different reasons.

Similarly, a few years back I found a rock performance of [the simple
parts from] Bach's Toccata & Fugue. (Actually just the toccata, really.
And only the bits you can easily play on an electric guitar with a
drummer and some backing.) It's much simpler than what Bach wrote, but
it's still quite entertaining.

And then the other day I heard a bunch of hill billies playing 80s rock.
THAT was funny! :-D But in a weird way, it kinda works...

(In a similar theme, the heavy metal version of Mrs Robinson.)

So getting people to listen to a particular style or a particular
instrument is... meh. People will listen to whatever people want to
listen to. The point is that *I* know what *I* like to listen to. (And I
don't care if anybody else likes it!)

OTOH, my car stereo refuses to play The Beach Boys for some reason...
Maybe it's trying to tell me something?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/