POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My own Vista impressions : Re: My own Vista impressions Server Time
13 Jun 2024 13:09:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My own Vista impressions
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 15 Nov 2008 18:00:49
Message: <491f54a1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Actually, Vista does power saving by turning down the CPU speed and
> limiting the maximum speed.  Tom's Hardware is generally pretty
> cluefull, and their benchmarks are pretty well documented and all, but I
> wonder if they turned that off.  I'd read someone else say it could take
> a couple of seconds for your programs to get up to speed, but I thought
> that sounded pretty silly. Now I have to wonder if they were right and
> Vista really does keep the CPU slow for longer than I'd expect. Hmmmm...

After months of running Ubuntu, I discovered it was throttling the CPU. I
keep nice 19 processes using 100% CPU 24/7, and I want all the speed I can
get from the CPU.

(they're nice 19 just so they don't make the desktop slower, I still want
them to run as fast as they can)

I had to set some relatively obscure parameter to "performance"
(was "ondemand").